description

About the Chatak-Matak food I ate at places around

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Undhiyu


This gujarati subzi dish, typically made in winter, was my Sunday lunch special today. You don’t get this at too many places in its traditional form. The place I know is Sagar sweets, beside petro pump on Karve road. Yes, the petrol pump near signal of Abhinav Chouk.
As it looks, subzi is too healthy (that is why I choose Sunday afternoon for a good nap later!). Basic ingredient is “Wal-papadi” which is available in this season. Also have good presence of other vegetables like pumpkin, green peas, small brinjals, etc. And the ‘masala’ does not kill vegetables like common Punjabi curry dishes.
Undhiyu is available from November to January. The shop keeper tells me that he gets the papadi wal especially from Surat. He further adds (may be some exaggeration, I feel), traditionally it would have 3 times more oil compared to what I ate today, but people are turning health conscious & in this region he can’t sell anything with that kind of oil in it

1 comment:

  1. Great job Yogesh! You have listed some pretty good joints here. Must try the undhiyu!! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete